Richmond’s First Baptist Church presents the CenturyMen in concert on October 12 at 7:30 p.m. The concert is free and open to the public.
The CenturyMen, established in 1969, is an auditioned men’s chorus of professional Christian musicians who are church music leaders from across the United States. Annually, the chorus tours across the United States. They also have performed in England, Wales, Scotland, Germany, Austria, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Switzerland, Israel, Brazil, The People’s Republic of China, Russia, Poland, Cuba and the Czech Republic. They have been featured on radio and special TV broadcasts in the US and China. In 2000, their Christmas CD, Beautiful Star, received a Grammy nomination.
Music provides a common language to communicate the joy and hope of the Christian life. The Music Ministry gives everyone from the three-year-old to the 90-plus-year-old an opportunity to glorify God in worship, serve God through the community, and be on mission in the name of Christ around the world.
Each age division of the Music Ministry seeks to call out the best spiritual, personal, and musical resources from its participants. Though there is an unapologetic pursuit of excellence, a high priority is given to the nurture and encouragement of Christian growth and service.
Preschool and children’s choirs at First Baptist begin at age three and continue through the fifth grade. Participation in the choirs affords the children a place to develop self-expression, leadership qualities, self-discipline, as well as exposure to musical and spiritual concepts. Choirs meet by age levels on Wednesday evenings, except during the summer months.
- M&Ms Age 3 by October 1 Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Angel Choir Ages 4 and 5/K by October 1 Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Music Makers Grades 1-2 Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Carol Choir Grades 3-5 Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. Choirs Fall Singing Schedule
The Messengers, grades 6-12, meets on Sunday evenings except during the summer. New members are welcomed and encouraged in the choir. Auditions are held for Youth Girls' Ensemble each fall.
- The Messengers Grades 6-12 Sundays at 4:45 p.m.
- Youth Girls' Ensemble Grades 8-12 Sundays at 4:00 p.m.
FirstRingers, the adult handbell choir, meets on Tuesday evenings. The choir has been honored to perform at the White House and the Governor’s Mansion and has presented concerts and led workshops in Cloppenberg and Amberg, Germany.
Alegria & Jubilate, the youth handbell choirs, meet on Wednesday evenings, except during the summer. Jubilate is for introduction and beginning bells. Alegria is for more advanced ensemble ringing. Both choirs are mixed youth 1 and 2, grades 6-12.
- Jubilate Youth Handbell Choir Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m.
- Alegria Youth Handbell Choir Wednesdays at 5:15 p.m.
- FirstRingers (Adults) Tuesdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Joyful Ringers (Senior Adults) Thursdays at 1:00 p.m.
Our Church Choir, One Accord ensemble (auditioned adult ensemble) and JoySingers (senior adults) provide inspirational and dynamic music for the worship services. Seasonal services during Advent and the spring are punctuated with stirring music and concerts, frequently accompanied by orchestra and instrumental ensembles.
- Church Choir Wednesdays at 7:15 p.m.
- One Accord Sundays at 6:15 p.m.
- JoySingers 1st, 2nd, and 4th Thursdays of the month (except during summer) at 2:00 p.m.
For more information contact Susan Marshall, Worship Ministry Administrative Support.