Advent is a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the birth of Jesus at Christmas.
In many ways, Advent begins as we celebrate Thanksgiving, and then turn our attention to all the upcoming events leading to Christmas day. It’s a busy time for sure, and we encourage you to participate in as many of the events listed below as you are able. But also remember that this is a season where it is extremely easy to overdo, especially when it come eating or not taking care of ourselves. Dr. Terry Whipple has a couple of great articles that will help you navigate the holidays in good health. Merry Christmas!
- Dr. Somerville’s Advent sermon series, Simple Gifts,
Sunday mornings December 3 through 24 at 8:30 & 11:00 a.m., Sanctuary.
- December 3: Simple Gifts: Light
- December 10: Simple Gifts: Food
- December 17: Simple Gifts: Music
- December 24: Simple Gifts: Travel
- December 24: Simple Gifts: Family (at the 11:00 p.m. service)
- Advent Contemplative Service - Wednesday, November 29 at 6:15 p.m., Chapel.
Devote an hour this Holy Season to quiet reflection in the presence of God. This service will include readings, music, communion and candle lighting.
- Adult Christmas Luncheon - Friday, December 1, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Flamming Hall.
The theme is “The Gift of Joy.” Tickets ($8.00 with reserved seating) are on sale Sundays, November 12 - 26, Wed., November 15 and Tues., November 21 in the Boulevard hallway.
- Hanging of the Green - Sunday, December 3, 8:30 a.m. & 11:00 a.m., Sanctuary.
We begin the Advent Season by transforming the Sanctuary into a room brimming with greenery, poinsettias, ornaments and light. Many of the church’s choirs will participate in the morning service as we gather for worship.
- Candlelight and Carols A Choral Concert of Christmas Carols by One Accord - December 3, 7:00 p.m. - 7:45 p.m., Sanctuary
One Accord, the auditioned ensemble of First Baptist Church, will present reflective carols of the season accompanied by piano, organ, strings, and soloists. This 22 voice ensemble will fill the sanctuary with captivating choral sounds of the Advent season.
- Week of Prayer for International and Global Missions - December 3 - 10
During this week of prayer we pray for our missionaries serving overseas and give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering (Southern Baptist Convention) or Global Missions Offering (Cooperative Baptist Fellowship).
- Pray: On Saturday morning, December 2 at 8:30 a.m. enjoy a hot breakfast, interesting missionary speakers Carla and Tom Allinder and a time of prayer for missions in Flamming Hall. Breakfast is $6.00. Call the church office for reservations.
- On Sunday, December 3 pick up prayer guides for the week in your Sunday School class or at the kiosks. Continue to pray each day.
- Learn: Tuesday, December 5, join Women on Mission in Flamming Hall at 10:30 a.m. Eleanor Witcher, Leader of the International Mission Board Prayer Team, leads a study on Russia. Stay for lunch at noon, $5.00; no reservations required. Men and women are invited.
- Wednesday, December 6, at 6:15 p.m. in Flamming Hall hear Dr. Andrea Klimt, professor at Baptist Theological Seminary, Elstal, Germany tells of mission work in Austria and Germany.
- Give: Sunday, December 10, give generously to support missions and missionaries. You can use the gold missions offering envelope or give online. FBC Offering goals are: Lottie Moon Christmas Offering (Southern Baptist Convention): $51,000 and Global Missions Offering (Cooperative Baptist Fellowship) $20,000.
- Gingerbread Churches - Friday, December 8, 6:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Gym. Reservations required.
We invite families to decorate a gingerbread church and celebrate Christmas together. There are a limited number of churches available, so reserve yours early or bring your own house kit. Bring goodies to eat, share and decorate. Icing provided. Free event. All ages welcome! Contact Candi Brown by December 5 to register.
- For Ladies Only (FLO) Christmas Tea* - Saturday, December 9, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m., Flamming Hall. Join us for A Cup of Christmas Tea with our speaker, Nancy Chewning. Tickets ($15) go on sale Sunday, November 12 in the Boulevard foyer. Reserve your seat/table early! This event usually sells out promptly.
- Carols & Keyboards Church Choir Christmas Concert - Sunday, December 10, 7:00 p.m., Sanctuary.
The 100-voice Church Choir will be joined by eight gifted pianists on four grand pianos in the church sanctuary. Joyous, familiar carols will come alive in this 75-minute concert.
- Preschool Christmas Songfest - Wednesday, December 13, 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Sanctuary.
Come enjoy festive music and instruments as the preschool students put on a Christmas performance for families. Afterwards, there will be a birthday cake for baby Jesus!
- First Family Around the Fireplace - JoySingers and Children's Musical, Wednesday, December 13, 6:00 p.m., Flamming Hall
This annual celebration has become a highlight for the entire Wednesday night family. You won’t want to miss the music and drama! Following the program the church family will participate in a mission project. Please bring Walmart gift cards for our Compassion ministry as we assemble 550 bags for those in need.
- The Redemption of Scrooge Youth Christmas Pageant - Sunday, December 17, 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., Sanctuary.
In a First Baptist tradition spanning almost 60 years, we invite you to join our students in the dramatic and musical adaptation retelling the well-known story of Ebenezer Scrooge, who lost his joy as he turned inward, living only for himself. Join the adventure as he encounters ghosts from his past and present and discovers what a life of scarcity will earn him in the future. Witness the something wonderful that comes as a result. Childcare is available. Please contact Ann Carter for more information.
- USTA/TGA Youth Tennis Camp - Monday, December 18 - Thursday, December 21, 9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m., Gym
The TGA enrichment program intertwines skill development, life skills, physical fitness, academic subjects, rules and etiquette, history and STEM! Our goal is to provide a great experience and ensure everyone leaves with the knowledge and fundamentals to play their best while learning the games’ rules and etiquette. See details.
- A Service of Remembrance* - Wednesday, December 20, 5:30 p.m., Chapel.
For those who have experienced the loss of a loved one during the past year, Christmas can be a very lonely and difficult time. You’re invited to attend whether you’ve lost a loved one or wish to support friends who have. Celebrate the lives of those who have passed, as we celebrate the birth of the One who gives eternal life. (No choir rehearsal)
- Candlelight Christmas Eve Services - Sunday, December 24, 5:00* & 11:00 p.m., Sanctuary.
Worship at 5:00 p.m. is usually filled with all ages, including children and their families. Worship at 11:00 p.m. includes communion.
More details to come as information becomes available.
* Service interpreted for the deaf.