Worship services are streamed live on Sundays at 8:30 and 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time. The WebClass Bible Study, a live, interactive Bible Study begins Sundays at 10:00 a.m.
Are You a Microchurch?
If you meet with a group of friends, family, or neighbors to watch our broadcast on WRIC TV8 or our live webcast, that's what we call a Microchurch.
- Download the (mobile friendly) bulletin.
- Make a donation with our Online Giving service.
- Watch previous sermons, musical pieces and WebClass discussions on Vimeo. Sermons are also available on YouTube and as podcasts. Read recent sermon texts.
- If you are having trouble viewing the webcast, click here.
WebClass Bible Study Resources for May 29, 2016
The teacher for this session is Kathy Thompson.
Thanks for a good lesson last week and for a full house! I look forward to the next few weeks.
The lessons will be in Galatians.
- What do you think is the most famous crime ever committed or attempted to be committed?
- What would possess someone to go to such great lengths to steal something knowing that they are most likely going to get caught?
View Moriarty Steals the Crown Jewels clip from Sherlock, Season 2.
- Why do you think the master criminal, Moriarty, said, "no rush?"
- What drove the world’s greatest consulting criminal to cause such chaos in London? (Hint: it was part of his overall scheme to get information about his nemesis, Sherlock Holmes.)
- Why do people do so many things that make sense at the time, but soon after cause harm for themselves and others?
View Chonda Pierce's My Mother and the Mini Bar comedy clip.
- Do you relate to Chonda’s mother or to Chonda better?
- Would you want the church to be insulted by not eating all that stuff in the mini fridge?
- Are you wondering why someone would eat all that and pour the beverages away?
- Have you ever done something just to please others?
- Why do we do silly things to make ourselves look better and/or please other people?
View Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs clip from WingTips.
- Why do you think his father was disappointed in him?
- Why did he care so much what his father thought?
- How do you feel when you have disappointed someone?
- How do they show you that they are disappointed?
- Have you ever been disappointed in someone else?
- How do you respond to someone when you are disappointed in them?
Read Galatians 1:1-12.
- Why do you think Paul emphasizes his place as an apostle?
- Why does Paul seem angry?
- What is he most angry about?
- Is he angrier at the Christian community or with the new teachers of a gospel?
- How would we react if an angel from heaven came to teach us?
- What does it mean to do things and act in ways to please others as opposed to acting in ways to please God?
- How do you know the difference?
- Can you think of a time when you simply wanted people to be happy and you did something that was clearly a bad decision?
View K.C. Morgan's Pripyat Amusement Park: Where the Ghosts of Chernobyl Play from AllDAY.
- What would cause people to open an amusement park after a nuclear disaster?
- Why didn't they evacuate people sooner?
- What lessons can we learn about being people pleasers in our lives, especially our spiritual lives?
A native of Virginia, Kathy Thompson is the daughter of a Baptist minister. She also married a Baptist minister! She and her husband, Robert, live in Ashland, Virginia where he recently retired as Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Ashland, where they served for 20 years. Kathy was active in the music department at First Baptist and taught Sunday School for many years. She is a graduate of George Mason University in Fairfax, VA and teaches music at Liberty Christian School. She and Robert are the parents of two sons: Matthew and his wife Jennifer, and Christopher and grandparents to Peyton Elizabeth. They also have a precious dog named Eli.