The core mission of the Recreation Ministry is to serve and reach out.
We use recreation to complement, support and strengthen the ministries and organizations of our church, as we seek to share Jesus Christ with others: reaching others for Christ by creating an environment that exists to provide quality sports, leisure activities, and other non-traditional means while emphasizing excellence, opportunities, and values; enlarging our ministries' territories as we meet the needs of people spiritually, socially, emotionally, and physically; challenging the family of First Baptist Church to grow through new experiences in fellowship and discipleship while using our time and our talent to serve others and our Lord.
The 13th Annual Alkulana Golf Tournament
Take your best swing at making a child's summer wonderful at Belmont Golf Course, a course played by legends! Camp Alkulana has been a ministry to inner city children since 1915. Camp Alkulana's mission is to reveal God's love to low-income and at-risk children and youth of Central Virginia so that they might realize the intrinsic value in themselves and others.
- October 6
- Belmont Golf Course, 1600 Hilliard Road, Henrico VA
- 12:00 p.m. lunch, 1:00 p.m. shotgun
- Sign up online at alkulana.org.
Upward Basketball and Cheerleading
Registration is now open for the 2018 season!
Richmond’s First Baptist Church hosts Upward Basketball for boys and girls grades 1-6, and Upward Cheerleading for girls, kindergarten through grade 6. Upward is designed to give children and their families a positive sports experience and to build character, self-esteem and salvation. The season incorporates practice, games, devotions, and a celebration event at the end of the season. The emphasis is on skill development and spiritual growth.
- Early Registration:
- Evaluations: October 28, 2017
- Anytime between 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (takes about 30 minutes)
- All participants must attend evaluations.
- Richmond’s First Baptist Church Gym
- Practices Begin: Week of January 8. 2018 (Practice Nights TBD)
- Game Dates, First Baptist Church Gymnasium
- January 20
- January 27
- February 3
- February 10
- No games February 17
- February 24
- March 3
- March 10
- March 17
- Year End Celebration - Sunday, March 18, 2017 4:00 p.m. in the First Baptist Church Sanctuary
Rim Rattlers Basketball
- Saturday, February 24 - March 17, 2018
- 4 years through K
- 25 spots available
Rim Rattlers is an exciting introductory basketball program for boys and girls 4 years old through kindergarten. Rim Rattlers teaches the FUNdamentals of basketball with a Christian influence. The four sessions begin Saturday mornings prior to Upward games from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. Participants will also take part in the Upward League Award Night on Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.!
First Travelers Club
The First Travelers Club offers opportunities to visit interesting places in central Virginia and possibly beyond. How does one become a member of the First Travelers Club? Just sign up and go on one of the scheduled trips. That’s it! Enjoy sightseeing and fellowship. For more information, contact Ann Evans.
- Kayaking - Saturday, September 23, 10:00 a.m. to noon at Pocahontas State Park, 10301 State Park Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832-6355. Meet at Pocahontas State Park Boat Ramp. Cost is approximately $16 per person (price may go down due to number participating). Contact Millie Barnes or sign up at the table in the Boulevard Hallway on Sundays after each worship service September 3, 10 and 17.
- Hiking - Sunday, October 8, 1:00 p.m. at T. Tyler Potterfield Memorial Bridge in Richmond; Email Larry Gable or call him at 804-748-7087. Meet in the parking lot leading to Belle Isle, 300 Tredegar St., Richmond VA 23219.
- Yorktown - Saturday, October 14, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Enjoy the York River Maritime Heritage Festival, a self-guided tour of the Watermen’s Museum ($5 donation) and a scheduled docent led tour of The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown ($14 ticket). Lunch at each person’s expense. Church Van leaves at 9 a.m. and will arrive back at church at 5:00 p.m. RSVP by October 8th. For more information, contact Tom Stephen, 804-218-0452 or visit sign up table in the Boulevard Hallway on Sundays after the 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. worship services September 24, October 1 and 8.
American Red Cross Blood Drives
- Tuesday, September 12
- Tuesday, November 7
- Tuesday, January 2, 2018
First Riders are Christians and friends of Christians who ride motorcycles (sometimes follow in cars) in fellowship, who revel in God’s creation and who wish to praise Him as we enjoy His gifts. Rides are scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, April through November, weather permitting. Most rides are in the range of 150 miles, and take up to five hours, not including time at lunch and for breaks. Please, remember we keep our rides at a pace so that all can ride in their comfort zone and if the lead gets ahead at some point we will find a safe place to wait and let others catch up and not be left behind. Lunch is at rider’s expense. Please contact: Carl Evans, (804) 513-5130.
- Tappahannock - Saturday, September 16 - Meet at McDonalds parking lot, E. Broad St. at 18th St. Kickstands up at 9:15 a.m. Routes 60, 33, and 3 to and through White Stone, Rt. 3 to Warsaw and Rt. 360 to Tappahannock for lunch. Routes 360, 30 and 301 to Richmond. Ride time 4:15. Miles 185. Home between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m.
- Waynesboro - Saturday, October 21 - Meet at Robinson St. parking lot. Kickstands up at 9:00 a.m. Routes 6, 15, 53 20, 231, and Rt. 33 to and through Stanardsville. Routes 33 and 340 to Waynesboro for lunch and Rt. 250 to Richmond. Ride time 5:35. Miles 250. Home between 4:30 and 5:00 p.m.
Zen Movement: Mondays 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. in the Adams Room
Beginner: Mondays 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. in the Adams Room
Intermediate: Mondays 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the Adams Room
$10 to drop in per class; the first class is free.
Call Jenny Barone at (804) 382-8103 to register.
Beginner level yoga: Mondays 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in room 220
Suggested $5 donation per class; the first class is free
Come one, come all and play some volleyball – any skill level! Drop-in play. Tuesdays from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. in the Gym
(Sewers, Knitters, & Embroiderers Involved in Needlework & Service)
Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. in Suite 280C
Jam Session for Musicians
Come out for a jam session for musicians of all ages and abilities! Never been to a jam session? Now is the time to give it a try. Acoustic instruments only. Horns, drums, etc. welcome. Piano available. Meets every fourth Tuesday from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. in LL18. For more information, contact Ann Evans.
- September 26
- October 24
- November 28
- December 26
For more information, please contact Laura Harris, Director of Recreation.