- Choose an area of ministry you have interest in exploring.
- Contact the staff member for that ministry and tell him or her you'd like to get involved.
- If you prefer, contact Steve Booth, Associate Pastor for Christian Formation, and he will assist you with a “big picture” overview of all seven ministry areas and specific ministries that might be a good fit based on your spiritual gifts, interests and personality. A helpful tool is the Spiritual Gifts Inventory. It’s easy and doesn't take very long. Take a few minutes to explore the gifts God has given you.
Disaster Response - You can contribute to relief efforts in times of natural disaster through the Baptist General Association of Virginia.
Richmond Justice Initiative, will celebrate its anti-human trafficking accomplishments with a Benefit for Freedom dinner on Tuesday, March 21. Proceeds from the benefit will allow our Prevention Project program to reach more at-risk teens. To sponsor or attend, visit freedom2017.rvaji.com.
Camp Alkulana Workday (Millboro Springs, VA), April 29, 2017
Cost of Trip: $10.00 (if riding van) Pay for own snacks at stops and for your own dinner. Depart FBC 7:30 a.m. Arrive Alkulana 10:30 a.m. Depart Alkulana 4:00 p.m. Return to FBC: 8:00 p.m. Task: Help prepare camp for summer opening. Families welcome. Registration deadline is April 9.
Volunteers help serve food and beverages during Wednesday night supper and other church events. For more information, contact Beanie Brooks.
To volunteer or for further information about any of the following compassion ministries, please contact Steve Blanchard.
Open Monday and Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. to Noon.
Open Monday and Wednesday, from 10:00 a.m. to Noon.
Provides Bible study, a hot meal, fellowship, and worship time every Thursday night from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the church. You can help by welcoming our guests, serving the food or donate prepared dishes for the meal (please contact us before doing so).
Open Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday mornings from 10:00 a.m. to Noon. Toiletries and towels are provided.
Meet on Wednesday nights to hand-make sleeping bags that will be given to the homeless. This is an important ministry to provide warmth and comfort to those without during cold nights.
New Americans Ministry
They are here. They are New Americans. How can you be Christ to them? The New American Ministry at First Baptist Church reaches out with Christian hospitality in many ways, such as home settlement, church attendance and tutoring.
Help tutor, provide supplies, landscaping, special projects, etc. at Glen Lea Elementary School.
The food distribution team at Albert Hill Middle School is looking for volunteers to work any school day, Monday through Friday, from 1:00 p/m/ to 3:30 p.m. If you have time to give, please contact Kathy Rock.
Essex Village Partnership
Work with leaders and residents of Essex Village on a variety of projects to improve life in the community.
Bake & Take Team
Every other month, families gather at the church to bake cookies and make cards which they will deliver door-to-door in the Fan area the same day.
A Ride to Church
Every so often, church members or those wishing to visit First Baptist need a ride to church. They come from all over the city. Some are elderly, some are disabled, and some have no other means of transportation. When people call needing rides, the church will contact you to see if you are available.
We receive several letters a month from inmates around the state seeking someone with whom to correspond. Many of these inmates claim to be Christians seeking a spiritual connection with other Christians and simply want to have someone to share their faith, concerns, questions, etc. Because of our broadcasts, many of these inmates consider First Baptist to be their church and even support us with their tithes. All correspondence from the inmates comes to the church so your place of residence is not given out. Many people use only their first names.
International & Domestic Opportunities (Mission Trips)
- Helena, Arkansas: Since 1999, FBC has partnered with this community located in Phillips County, along the banks of the Mississippi River, approximately one hour south of Memphis, TN. Each summer, individuals and families travel to Helena to work with other churches and volunteers to host a swim and outdoor Bible camp for one week. In addition, we participate in local construction and community projects in Helena and the surrounding area. Phillips County is one of the poorest areas of our country but regardless, it is a community that we love and one that has embraced us with its charm and hospitality.
July 8-14, 2017, Cost of Trip: $100 (individual) $200 (family) plus transportation there Tasks: Work with locals and other congregations in conducting swim/VBS camp, construction, local outreach
- Castries, St. Lucia: Beginning in the summer of 2014, at the request of another church located in St. Croix, we began partnering with Gospel Baptist Church on St. Lucia, a church full of wonderful, loving people who want to make a difference in their community. We assist them with construction projects, Vacation Bible School, and community outreach. We also enjoy their wonderful hospitality and fellowship with new ideas of partnering constantly emerging.
July 15-24, 2017, Cost of Trip: $1950.00 Tasks: Assist local church with Vacation Bible School, maybe light construction
- Johannesburg, South Africa: Attendees must be at least 16 years of age. If interested, please contact Justin Pierson. Deadline to sign up is May 1.
July 15-24, 2017, Cost of Trip: $2500.00 (anticipated) Tasks: Construction, children’s ministry, landscaping, and more
- Details on mission trips to Romania and Haiti sponsored by BGAV coming soon.
If you are interested, contact Steve Blanchard. All times, costs, and tasks are subject to change depending on information received from on-site personnel. Please check the website, bulletins, and other church media outlets for up-to-date information and changes.
Seasonal Volunteer Opportunities
To volunteer for any of these ministry opportunities, please contact Steve Blanchard.
Operation Christmas Child - Good News. Great joy. Operation Christmas Child offers children living in poverty the opportunity to receive a Christmas gift and to be presented with the gospel message. Fill a shoebox with toys, hygiene items and school supplies and return it by November 13. For more information and guidelines, pick up a brochure at a kiosk or one of the collection centers located throughout the church. Operation Christmas Child is a project of Samaritan's Purse.
CARITAS (Congregations Around Richmond Involved To Assure Shelter)
First Baptist Church serves as a homeless shelter for two weeks every year: one week in the summer and one week in the winter. Volunteers provide three meals, showers, recreation, etc., for our approximately 40 guests. For information about service opportunities, email CARITAS or call 358-5458 ext. 153.
A list of non-monetary donations needed and accepted by the Ministry of Compassion. You can drop off items in the designated donation areas.
We distribute the items below. Due to limited storage and client need, please bring only these food items.
- Peanut butter
- Canned pork & beans
- Baked beans
- Canned fruit
- Canned vegetables
(green beans, corn, peas)
- Boxed cereal (oatmeal, grits)
- Canned pastas and spaghetti sauce
- Saltine crackers
- Peanut butter crackers
- Breakfast bars
- Mac & cheese
- Canned tuna
- Vienna sausages
- Potted meat
- Any small pop-top canned items on this list
We distribute a variety of toiletry items. Please be sure to note the various sizes of the items requested.
- Toothpaste (any size)
- Toothbrushes (adult)
- Spray deodorant (any size)
- Hand lotion (trial size)
- Razors (disposable)
- Men’s underwear (new, any size 30-44)
- Women’s underwear (new, sizes 5-10)
- Shaving cream (regular size)
The Clothes Closet, Sleeping Bag ministry and others distribute these much needed items.
- Clothing in good shape (especially menswear)
- Shoes (especially large sizes)
- White crew socks
- Rain ponchos
- Umbrellas (especially compact ones)
- Backpacks (new and used)
- Sleeping bags (new and used)
- Laundry detergent
- Brown grocery bags with handles
- Bibles in good condition