When God tells us to do something then we, as good and faithful servants, do it. So what has He told us to do? The five essential ministry areas at First Baptist Church are built around five clear commands of Christ:
- “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matt. 22:37). We call that the Ministry of Christian Worship.
- “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” (Matt. 22:39). We call that the Ministry of Christian Compassion.
- “Love one another as I have loved you,” Jesus commands (John 13:34; 15:12). We call that the Ministry of Christian Community.
- “Go therefore and make disciples of every nation, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,” Jesus said (Matt. 28:19). We call that the Ministry of Christian Invitation, and we invite you into the life with Christ.
- “Teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you,” Jesus said (Matt. 28:20). We call that the Ministry of Christian Formation, and we teach little children in Sunday school through senior adults.
So, what does the Lord require of you? The Lord Jesus requires us to “Love God, love others, love one another, and make disciples by baptizing and teaching.”
- paraphrased from "What Faithful Living Looks Like: Faithfulness Everywhere Under All Conditions" by Dr. Jim Somerville, Senior Pastor