Frequently Asked Questions
1. I want to know more about Richmond's First Baptist Church. When did it start? How many members are there?
Richmond’s First Baptist Church was founded in 1780 as the “Baptist Church of Richmond”. Our church has over 2000 members. For more information, please see our About page.
2. What’s being served for Wednesday night dinner?
Please see our Wednesday Evening page for dinner menus and program information.
3. Can you give me directions to FBC, and where do I park?
A link to Directions, Parking Lot Map and Building Maps are on our Maps & Parking page. Our street address is 2709 Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA 23220.
4. What should I wear?
Dress runs the gamut from traditional "Sunday Best" to Business Casual to whatever you're comfortable in. We welcome you just as you are.
5. Is transportation offered?
We are pleased to offer transportation on Sundays and Wednesdays to and from several local retirement communities. We proudly serve Lakewood Manor, Westminster Canterbury, Imperial Plaza and Beth Sholom. Reservations are made weekly and on a first come, first served basis. Reservations and additional information are available by calling the Reception Desk at (804) 355-8637.
6. What time is the funeral, and where do I park?
Funeral dates and times are listed on our Calendar.
Funeral attendees are always welcome to park in one of our Parking Lots. Handicapped parking is available in the Mulberry Street parking lot located on the east side of the building adjacent to the Gym and Chapel entrances. Please be mindful of funeral parking signs when parking on the street.
7. Is financial assistance available for rent or utilities?
We are unable to provide any sort of financial assistance. For other types of assistance, please visit our Ministry of Compassion Community Missions program open on Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
8. What are the days and hours services are provided by Community Missions for the Food Pantry, Clothes Closet and Showers? What zip code areas do you serve? What do I need to bring to obtain services?
The Ministry of Compassion’s Community Missions program is open on the following days and times:
- Food Pantry: Mondays & Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Clothes Closet: Mondays & Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Showers: Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
To access the Food Pantry, please bring a photo ID and a utility bill showing your name and address for proof of zip code. Please arrive before 11:45 a.m. and enter through the Park Avenue downstairs entrance located next to the ramp.
9. Is Grace Fellowship taking place?
The Ministry of Compassion also offers a weekly meal and fellowship, Grace Fellowship, which is open weekly at 6:00 p.m. Guests can use the Park Avenue Gym Entrance for dinner at 6:00 p.m.
Community Missions and Grace Fellowship are all offered on a weekly basis with the exceptions of the month of August, Holidays, and special circumstances. To double check please see dates and times listed on our main Calendar or call the Reception Desk at (804) 355-8637.
10. Where do I put donations for the clothes closet?
You may leave donations for the Clothes Closet in the 125 Hallway. The 125 Hallway is located between the church offices and the kitchen.
11. Around the holidays, are food baskets available?
We do not offer Holiday Food Baskets. Our Christmas programs vary each year.
12. What opportunities exist to volunteer?
13. How do I make a donation to First Baptist?
Thanks for asking! Visit our Giving page to make a one-time donation or recurring offering/pledge.
Giving can extend beyond just monetary gifts. We also accept donations of toiletries, food, clothing and other items throughout the year. For a list of needed items, please see the bottom of our Get Involved page under Donations.
14. Fall Divorce Recovery Workshop questions:
If you have questions about Divorce Recovery or are interested in registering for our Divorce Recovery Workshop, please contact Kim McIntosh at (804) 358-5458 x118.
15. First Baptist Preschool questions:
First Baptist Preschool has been at Richmond’s First Baptist Church for over 70 years. If you have any questions or are interested in joining the First Baptist Preschool family, please contact the preschool administrator, Alex Hamp, at (804) 358-5458 x155.